ISSN 1300-7157 Main Page | Contact      

Volume : 26  Issue : 2  Year: 2020

Levetiracetam Add on Treatment in Refractory Epilepsy [Epilepsi]
Epilepsi. 2007; 13(2): 87-90

Levetiracetam Add on Treatment in Refractory Epilepsy

Gülnihal Kutlu, Yasemin Biçer Gömceli, Fatma Sanıvar, Leyla Çavdar, Levent E. İnan
Sb Ankara Eğitim Ve Araştırma Hastanesi Nöroloji Kliniği

OBJECTIVE: Levetiracetam (LEV) is a novel antiepileptic drug. According to the previous studies, LEV is a broad spectrum antiepileptic agent with a wide margin of safety. In this study, patients with epilepsy, who were receiving LEV as add on treatment, were evaluated and the results were reported.
METHODS: Sixty-six patients with refractory epilepsy, who were receiving LEV as add on treatment in our epilepsy department, were evaluated retrospectively.
RESULTS: Age range was 16-74. Twenty three (34.9%) of them were female and the remaining 43 (65.1%) of them were male. The mean follow up duration of patient was 15.5 month, while dosage was between 1000-3000 mg/day. In the evaluation of 66 patients with refractory epilepsy, 28 (42.4%) of them were seizure free, 8 (12.1%) of them had reduction of seizure frequency between 75-99%, 7 (10.6%) of them had decrease in seizure frequency between 50-74%, 8 (12.1%) had ceasing of them at least 49%. In addition to these findings, 8 (12.1%) patients had no change in seizure frequency and four (6.1%) patients had aggrevation of seizures. In these cases,two of them had seizure free at the first 50 and 54 days of treatment and then seizure was continued just like prior to LEV treatment. Seizure frequency of three patients could not been evaluated. Twelve (18.2%) patients had side effects in relation to LEV (sedation, agitation, allergic reactions, seizure aggrevation). LEV treatment was discontinued among seven (10.6%) of them.
CONCLUSION: LEV was well tolerated, safety and effective alternative treatment in patients with refractory epilepsy. However, further studies including long term of LEV treatment were necessary. Seizure aggrevation during LEV treatment should be kept in mind.

Keywords: Levetiracetam, add on treatment, epilepsy, antiepileptic drugs


Dirençli Epilepsi Hastalarında Levetirasetam Ek Tedavisi

Gülnihal Kutlu, Yasemin Biçer Gömceli, Fatma Sanıvar, Leyla Çavdar, Levent E. İnan
Sb Ankara Eğitim Ve Araştırma Hastanesi Nöroloji Kliniği

AMAÇ: Levetirasetam (LEV) yeni bir antiepileptik ilaçtır. Yapılan çalışmalara göre geniş spektrumla birlikte emniyet sınırı geniş bir ajandır. Burada LEV'in ek tedavi olarak verildiği dirençli epilepsi hastaları incelenmiş ve sonuçlar bildirilmiştir.
YÖNTEMLER: Epilepsi ünitemizde takipli, LEV tedavisi alan 66 dirençli epilepsi hastası retrospektif olarak değerlendirildi.
BULGULAR: Yaş aralığı 16-74 tü. Olguların 23'ü (%34.9) kadın ve 43'ü (%65.1) erkekti. LEV ile tedavi süresi 15.5 ay iken, doz aralığı 1000-3000 mg/gün idi. Dirençli epilepsisi olan 66 olgu değerlendirildiğinde 28'i (%42.4) nöbetsiz, 8'inde (%12.1) nöbet sıklığında %75-99 arasında azalma, 7'sinde (%10.6) %50-74 azalma, 8'inde (%12.1) %49'un altında azalma izlendi. Ayrıca 8 olgunun (%12.1) nöbet sıklığı değişmedi ve 4 olgunun ise (%6.1) nöbet sıklığında artış oldu.. Bu olguların ikisinde başlangıçta 50 ve 54 gün süreyle tam nöbetsizlikten sonra nöbetlerin eski sıklığında sürdüğü izlendi. Üç olguda ise nöbet sıklığı değerlendirilemedi. On iki (%18.2) hastada LEV tedavisi başladıktan sonra yan etki gelişti (Sedasyon, ajitasyon, allerjik reaksiyon, nöbet sıklığında artış). Bu olguların yedisinde (%10.6) olguda LEV tedavisi sonlandırıldı.
SONUÇ: LEV dirençli epilepsisi olan hastalarda iyi tolere edilebilen, güvenli ve etkin bir tedavi alternatifi gibi görünmektedir. Ancak daha uzun sürece dayanan klinik gözlemleri de kapsayan çalışmalara ihtiyaç olduğu muhakkaktır. Nöbet sıklığında artış olabileceği de akılda tutulmalıdır.

Anahtar Kelimeler: Levetirasetam, ek tedavi, epilepsi, antiepileptik tedavi


Gülnihal Kutlu, Yasemin Biçer Gömceli, Fatma Sanıvar, Leyla Çavdar, Levent E. İnan. Levetiracetam Add on Treatment in Refractory Epilepsy. Epilepsi. 2007; 13(2): 87-90

Corresponding Author: Gülnihal Kutlu


TOOLS
Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share


Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar




Copyright © 2020 All rights of this site belong to the Turkish Epilepsy Association .
 
LookUs & Online Makale